(Beaver Falls, Pa.) Are you board and bummed out that the PIAA State Basketball Play-offs were cut short? Well we’ve got the perfect thing to bring your spirits back up as we wake up the High School play-off spirits of the past. 1230 WBVP, 1460 WMBA, 99.3 FM, and beavercountyradio.com are jumping back in time to some of the classic Boys and Girls play-off games in Beaver County Radio History. It all gets underway this Friday with the 1949 PIAA State Championship Game featuring Aliquippa vs. York. Beaver County Radio legend Chuck Wilson had the call of this classic that saw Aliquppa bring home the first ever state championship in any sport to Beaver County. The pregame gets underway at 7:00 pm Friday night March 19, 2020 on 1230 WBVP, 1460 WMBA, 99.3 FM and on beavercountyradio.com.
The action will continue over the next three weeks as we bring you more classic match-ups. You can view the schedule below:
- Tuesday March 24, 2020 from 1974 the PIAA State Basketball Championship featuring Midland vs. Exetor. This classic game featured Beaver County Sports Hall of Fame Coach Ed Olkowski and his Leopards as they became the first school in Beaver County to win back to back state titles.
- Friday March 27, 2020 from 2006 the Hopewell Girls brought home the gold against Allentown Central Catholic in the PIAA State Final
- Tuesday March 31, 2020 from 2005 in what is probably one of if not the classical WPIAL Championships games of all-time, Beaver Falls took on Aliquippa. In this game Lance Jeter game up big for the Tigers hit buzzer beaters to continue through 3 overtimes before he sank a basket as time expired in the third over time to send the Tigers home with WPIAL gold.
- Friday April 3, 2020 from 1996 Blackhawk vs. Franklin in the West Final in the PIAA State Play-offs Archie Miller came up big with time running out in the second over time to send the Cougars to the state final.
- Tuesday April 6, 2020 from 2000 Blackhawk Girls beat West Mifflin in the WPIAL Girls Basketball Championship. The game went into 3 over times before the Lady Cougars could finally bring home the gold. The game featured West Mifflin’s Tanisha Wright who scored 51 points for West Mifflin. Wright went on to play in the WNBA.
The pre-game gets underway at 7:00 pm for each game. you can listen to the games on 1230 WBVP, 1460 WMBA, 99.3 FM, and beavercountyradio.com