- Altherr’s RBI hit gives Phils 3-2 win and sweep over Pirates
By ROB MAADDI, AP Sports Writer
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Aaron Altherr had quite a game for a guy who sat on the bench the first six innings.
Altherr’s RBI single in the bottom of the 11th inning lifted the Phillies to a 3-2 victory over Pittsburgh on Sunday, giving Philadelphia its first four-game sweep over the Pirates in 24 years.
Andrew Knapp hit an opposite-field triple off the left-field wall with one out off Rich Rodriguez (0-1). With the infield in, Altherr pulled a 1-2 pitch to left for his third hit. He raised his hand in the air, ran to first and got mobbed by teammates.
“Feels great to have my first walk-off in the big leagues,” Altherr said.
Altherr finished 3 for 3 with a triple, raising his average from .104 to .157. He’s had to adjust to not being in the lineup every game because manager Gabe Kapler is rotating 10 players for eight starting spots.
“It’s been really difficult as the days went on,” Altherr said. “I’m trying to stay positive and keep rolling.”
Kapler raved about Altherr’s attitude.
“Coming into the season, we felt he was one of our best offensive players,” Kapler said. “He’s had some bad luck. I’m sure he wanted to play more regularly but every day he comes in with a smile, he comes prepared and he works his tail off. Good things happen to good people. He deserves it. His teammate behavior has been unparalleled. It’s outstanding.”
The Phillies have won 13 of 16 since a 1-4 start and are seven games over .500 for the first time since they were 24-17 on May 18, 2016. They finished 71-91 that season and lost 96 games last year.
Philadelphia had not swept a four-game series from the Pirates since May 12-15, 1994. Pittsburgh has lost four in a row and six of seven after an 11-4 start.
“We had opportunities throughout the game,” Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. “We had a rough week. We need a day off and figure things out and show up ready to play Tuesday.”
Elias Diaz hit a two-run homer for Pittsburgh.
Pirates starter Trevor Williams allowed two runs and only one hit — an RBI double to pitcher Nick Pivetta — in six innings. He had five walks and fanned seven.
Pivetta gave up two runs and five hits, striking out seven in 6 1/3 innings.
After Diaz went deep to give the Pirates a 2-0 lead in the top of the fifth, Pivetta helped himself. He lined a run-scoring double down the right-field line — his first career extra-base hit.
Pivetta scurried to third base on a wild pitch and hustled home on Cesar Hernandez’s sacrifice fly that tied it at 2.
“I was just trying to get the two runs I gave up back,” Pivetta said.
Phillies reliever Victor Arano had retired all 25 batters he faced this season and 32 straight, dating to last season, before Starling Marte reached safely on third baseman Scott Kingery’s throwing error to start the ninth. Arano pitched out of a jam in the 10th after pinch-hitter Josh Bell hit a triple with one out.
Yacksel Rios (3-0) tossed a scoreless inning, stranding two runners, to earn the win.
STREAKING
Philadelphia’s Odubel Herrera has reached base safely in a career-best 23 straight games.
TRAINER’S ROOM
Phillies: Reliever Tommy Hunter was activated from the disabled list. The righty had been sidelined all season with a strained right hamstring. He tossed a perfect eighth with one strikeout.
UP NEXT
Pirates: RHP Chad Kuhl (2-1, 4.57 ERA) opposes Tigers RHP Jordan Zimmermann (1-0, 7.71 ERA) Tuesday night in the start of a three-game set in Pittsburgh.
Phillies: RHP Vince Velasquez (1-2, 3.80 ERA) starts Tuesday night vs. Diamondbacks LHP Robbie Ray (2-0, 4.98) in the opener of a three-game series.
___
More AP baseball: https://apnews.com/tag/MLBbaseball
Category: News
North Korea says it has suspended nuclear, missile testing!!!
North Korea says it has suspended nuclear, missile testing
By KIM TONG-HYUNG, Associated Press
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea said Saturday it has suspended nuclear and long-range missile tests and plans to close its nuclear test site ahead of a new round of negotiations with South Korea and the United States. There was no clear indication in the North’s announcement if it would be willing to deal away its arsenal.
The North rather expressed confidence about its nuclear force, which leader Kim Jong Un declared as complete in November after a slew of weapons tests that included the underground detonation of a purported thermonuclear warhead and flight tests of three intercontinental ballistic missiles.
Some analysts believe Kim is entering the negotiations from a position of strength and is unlikely to accept a significant cut of his arsenal or go significantly beyond freezing a nuclear program. South Korean and U.S. officials have said Kim is likely trying to save his broken economy from heavy sanctions.
After the announcement Saturday about testing, President Donald Trump tweeted, “This is very good news for North Korea and the World” and “big progress!”
He also said he’s looking forward to his upcoming summit with Kim.
South Korea’s presidential office welcomed North Korea’s announcement as “meaningful progress” toward the denuclearization of the peninsula. Presidential official Yoon Young-chan said in a statement that the North’s decision brightens the prospects for successful talks between Seoul, Pyongyang and Washington.
The North’s official Korean Central News Agency said the country is making the move to shift its national focus and improve its economy.
The North also vowed to actively engage with regional neighbors and the international community to secure peace on the peninsula and create an “optimal international environment” to build its economy.
The announcement came days before Kim is set to meet South Korean President Moon Jae-in in a border truce village for a rare summit aimed at resolving the nuclear standoff with Pyongyang.
A separate meeting between Kim and Trump is anticipated in May or June.
The North’s decisions were made in a meeting of the ruling party’s full Central Committee, which had convened to discuss a “new stage” of policies. The Korean Workers’ Party Central Committee declared a “great victory” in the country’s official “byungjin” policy of simultaneously pursuing economic and nuclear development.
The committee unanimously adopted a resolution that called for concentrating national efforts to achieve a strong socialist economy and “groundbreaking improvements in people’s lives.”
“To secure transparency on the suspension of nuclear tests, we will close the republic’s northern nuclear test site,” the party’s resolution said.
The official news agency quoted Kim as saying during the meeting: “Nuclear development has proceeded scientifically and in due order and the development of the delivery strike means also proceeded scientifically and verified the completion of nuclear weapons.
“We no longer need any nuclear test or test launches of intermediate and intercontinental range ballistic missiles and because of this, the northern nuclear test site has finished its mission.”
Seoul says Kim has expressed genuine interest in dealing away his nuclear weapons. But North Korea for decades has been pushing a concept of “denuclearization” that bears no resemblance to the American definition, vowing to pursue nuclear development unless Washington removes its troops from the peninsula.
South Korean scientists have questioned whether the North could continue conducting underground nuclear detonations at its mountainous test site in Kilju in the northeast due to a series of earthquakes that were likely triggered by the activity, suggesting it’s too unstable for further bomb tests.
At the height of Pyongyang’s standoff with Washington and Seoul last year, North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho told reporters the country could conduct an atmospheric hydrogen bomb test over the Pacific Ocean.
UPDATE On Fallston Landslide: Could Be Weeks Until Rt. 51 Re-Opens
WE HAVE AN UPDATE ON THAT LANDSLIDE SITUATION IN FALLSTON. BEAVER COUNTY COMMISSIONER SANDIE EGLY SPOKE WITH BEAVER COUNTY RADIO NEWSMAN PAT SEPTAK THIS MORNING AND SAID THAT ROUTE 51 REMAIN CLOSED IN BOTH DIRECTIONS BETWEEN THE VETERANS MEMORIAL BRIDGE AND WILDWOOD ROAD…A BIT LONGER THAN THEY HAD ANTICIPATED:
EGLEY SAYS THEY CAN’T GIVE AN EXACT DATE ON WHEN THAT ROADWAY WILL RE-OPEN:
EGLEY SAYS THAT THE VERY EARLIEST THE ROAD WILL RE-OPEN WOULD BE MONDAY…BUT THAT’S BEING VERY OPTIMISTIC:
EGLEY SAYS THAT DRIVERS WILL STILL HAVE ACCESS TO ALL THE LOCAL BUSINESSES IN THAT AREA:

Another Anti-Violence Rally Held At Beaver County Courthouse
The National School Walkout in remembrance of the 19th Anniversary of the Columbine shooting extended to the steps of the Beaver County Courthouse today. Beaver County Radio’s Diane Brosius was there…
Jury Deliberating In Aliquippa Double Murder
THE JURY IS DELIBERATING IN AN ALIQUIPPA DOUBLE MURDER TRIAL. BEAVER COUNTY RADIO NEWS CORRESPONDENT SANDY GIORDANO HAS MORE. Click on ‘play’ to hear Sandy’s report…
Mini-Casino Coming To Beaver County?
A delegation comprised of Beaver County and municipal officials met with representatives from the Mount Airy Casino Resort in northeastern Pennsylvania on Wednesday about the possibility of bringing a mini-casino to Beaver County. The Beaver County Times is reporting The delegation traveled across the state Wednesday and returned last night. In a statement, officials said, the meeting with Mount Airy’s owners and management was described as “informative.” No timeline was given on when Mount Airy officials might make their decision. Wherever the mini-casino is eventually constructed, it will have to be within a 15-mile radius of New Castle. That’s because when Mount Airy submitted a successful bid for the casino license in February, it was stipulated that it would be built near New Castle.
Students At Beaver County Area Schools Plan To Walk Out Of Class Today
THE BLACKHAWK AND THE MOON AREA SCHOOL DISTRICTS HAVE PLANNED ORGANIZED WALKOUTS AND PROGRAMS ABOUT SCHOOL SAFETY TODAY.
IT’S ALL PART OF A DAYLONG NATIONAL SCHOOL WALKOUT. AT 10:00 THIS MORNING, STUDENTS ACROSS THE COUNTRY WILL WALK OUT OF THEIR CLASSROOMS AND OBSERVE 13 SECONDS OF SILENCE. WHY 13? WELL, TODAY MARKS 19 YEARS SINCE 12 TEENAGERS AND ONE TEACHER WERE SHOT AND KILLED BY TWO OF THEIR CLASSMATES AT COLUMBINE HIGH SCHOOL IN LITTLETON, COLORADO. IT WAS THE DEADLIEST HIGH SCHOOL SHOOTING UNTIL 17 WERE KILLED FEBRUARY 14TH IN PARKLAND, FLORIDA. A THIRD AREA WALKOUT IS SCHEDULED AT THE BEAVER COUNTY COUNTY COURTHOUSE TODAY, BUT NO AFFILIATION IS LISTED.
Sunshine, Milder Temperatures This Weekend!
WEATHER FORECAST FOR FRIDAY, APRIL 20TH, 2018
TODAY – SUNNY. HIGH – 51.
TONIGHT – MOSTLY CLEAR. LOW NEAR 30.
SATURDAY – SOME SUN IN THE MORNING WITH
INCREASING CLOUDS DURING THE
AFTERNOON. HIGH – 56.
SUNDAY – INTERVALS OF CLOUDS AND SUNSHINE.
HIGH – 61.
Hanover Township Couple’s Home Destroyed By Fire
A couple made it out safely after a fire consumed their Hanover Township home this morning. Investigators said the fire started at a home in the 200 block of Pleasant Hills Road in just before 8:30 a.m. When fire crews arrived on the scene, the house was fully engulfed in flames. Heavy smoke was also pouring out of the home. Firefighters say an elderly couple made it out of the house, but the older man suffered minor injuries. The home is a total loss, since the roof caved in. No word on what caused the fire.
Addresses, House Numbers Need To Be Posted In Hopewell Township!
ATTENTION ALL RESIDENTS, BUSINESSES AND PROPERTY OWNERS IN HOPEWELL TOWNSHIP…BETTER MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR ADDRESS OR HOUSE NUMBER PROPERLY POSTED. BEAVER COUNTY RADIO NEWS CORRESPONDENT SANDY GIORDNAO EXPLAINS. Click on ‘play’ to hear Sandy’s report…









