New Hampshire judge pauses Trump’s birthright citizenship order nationwide via class action lawsuit

(File Photo: Source for Photo: FILE – President Donald Trump signs an executive order on birthright citizenship in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, Jan. 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File)

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — A federal judge in New Hampshire issued a ruling Thursday prohibiting President Donald Trump’s executive order ending birthright citizenship from taking effect anywhere in the U.S.

Judge Joseph LaPlante issued a preliminary injunction blocking Trump’s order and certified a class action lawsuit including all children who will be affected. The order, which followed an hour-long hearing, included a seven-day stay to allow for appeal.

The judge’s decision puts the birthright citizenship issue on a fast track to return to the Supreme Court. The justices could be asked to rule whether the order complies with their decision last month that limited judges’ authority to issue nationwide injunctions. The Supreme Court said district judges generally can’t issue nationwide, or universal, injunctions. But it didn’t rule out whether judges could accomplish much the same thing by a different legal means, a class action.

The class approved in New Hampshire is slightly narrower than that sought by the plaintiffs, who wanted to include parents, but attorneys said that wouldn’t make a material difference.

“This is going to protect every single child around the country from this lawless, unconstitutional and cruel executive order,” said Cody Wofsy, an attorney for the plaintiffs.

The lawsuit was filed on behalf of a pregnant woman, two parents and their infants. It’s among numerous cases challenging Trump’s January order denying citizenship to those born to parents living in the U.S. illegally or temporarily. The plaintiffs are represented by the American Civil Liberties Union and others.

At issue is the Constitution’s 14th Amendment, which states: “All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States.” The Trump administration says the phrase “subject to the jurisdiction thereof” means the U.S. can deny citizenship to babies born to women in the country illegally, ending what has been seen as an intrinsic part of U.S. law for more than a century.

“Prior misimpressions of the citizenship clause have created a perverse incentive for illegal immigration that has negatively impacted this country’s sovereignty, national security, and economic stability,” government lawyers wrote in the New Hampshire case.

LaPlante, who had issued a narrow injunction in a similar case, said while he didn’t consider the government’s arguments frivolous, he found them unpersuasive. He said his decision to issue an injunction was “not a close call” and that deprivation of U.S. citizenship clearly amounted to irreparable harm.

“That’s irreparable harm, citizenship alone,” said LaPlante. “It is the greatest privilege that exists in the world.”

White House spokesman Harrison Fields accused LaPlante, who was appointed by Republican President George W. Bush, of “abusing class action procedures.”

“The Trump Administration will be fighting vigorously against the attempts of these rogue district court judges to impede the policies President Trump was elected to implement,” he said in a statement.

During Thursday’s hearing, Deputy Assistant Attorney General Eric Hamilton argued that both approving a class action and issuing an injunction would be premature, given that no one other than Trump has taken action. He said doing so would mean a single court could become the “end-all-and-be-all” in reversing new federal policies and said if anything, the injunction should be limited to New Hampshire.

Similar cases are pending from Washington to Maryland. It’s not time to panic, said Ama Frimpong, legal director at nonprofit immigrant rights organization CASA, which is also seeking a nationwide injunction.

“No one has to move states right this instant,” she said. “There’s different avenues through which we are all fighting, again, to make sure that this executive order never actually sees the light of day.”

The New Hampshire plaintiffs, referred to only by pseudonyms, include a woman from Honduras who has a pending asylum application and is due to give birth to her fourth child in October. She told the court the family came to the U.S. after being targeted by gangs.

“I do not want my child to live in fear and hiding. I do not want my child to be a target for immigration enforcement,” she wrote. “I fear our family could be at risk of separation.”

Another plaintiff, a man from Brazil, has lived with his wife in Florida for five years. Their first child was born in March, and they are in the process of applying for lawful permanent status based on family ties — his wife’s father is a U.S. citizen.

“My baby has the right to citizenship and a future in the United States,” he wrote.

Teens planning pop-up party going against the rules of Frick Park in Homestead and coordinators from a violence prevention organization are ready to intervene there if needed

(File Photo of Police Siren Lights)

Noah Haswell, Beaver County Radio News

(Homestead, PA) A flyer has given way for concern as teenagers have organized a pop-up party for Saturday at Frick Park, located in Homestead. The advertisement made an encouragement to bring drugs and alcohol, which the park prohibits. REACH, an organization that helps to prevent violence, will have coordinators to stop any incidents of violence at Frick Park on Saturday. The mayor of Homestead confirms the council of Homestead will discuss this issue at their upcoming meeting.

Two companies headquartered in Pittsburgh, Dick’s Sporting Goods and Duolingo, make it to Time Magazine’s top 100 influential companies of 2025 list

(File Photo: Source for Photo: FILE -This photo taken Tuesday, Aug. 29, 2017, shows a Dick’s Sporting Goods sign at a store in Miami. (AP Photo/Alan Diaz, File)

Noah Haswell, Beaver County Radio News

(New York, NY) Two companies that have their headquarters in Pittsburgh have made it onto a yearly list from Time Magazine of their 100 most influential companies of 2025. The announcement came in late June and both Dick’s Sporting Goods and Duolingo are the Pittsburgh companies that made it onto that list. Time Magazine selected these two companies for this list because them and their leaders have shaped the world we live in.

The Sin City Club, a motorcycle club in the Homewood neighborhood of Pittsburgh, catches fire

(File Photo of a Fire Background Photo)

Noah Haswell, Beaver County Radio News

(Pittsburgh, PA) A motorcycle club in the Homewood neighborhood of Pittsburgh caught fire on Thursday morning. The Sin City Club located on Brushton Avenue is where crews went to after 4:30 a.m. that morning. According to Pittsburgh Public Safety officials, the fire started on the back porch of the club and extended into the kitchen. Four people were evacuated from the front porch roof. A firefighter is in stable condition after his trip to the hospital and sustaining a back injury that is not life-threatening. The cause of the fire is being investigated by the Fire Investigation Unit.

Man gets several charges, including homicide by vehicle, for being connected in a crash that killed a Robert Morris University student in Washington County in 2024

(File Photo of a Gavel)

Noah Haswell, Beaver County Radio News

(Washington County, PA) Homicide by vehicle and other charges were filed against a man who has been connected with a crash that killed a Robert Morris University student in Washington County in 2024. Eighteen-year-old Kaylee Ogea was a passenger in a car before she was killed in that crash. According to a criminal complaint, Jubal Osborn was driving 20 miles per hour over the speed limit on I-70 near the West Virginia line in June of last year. The complaint also confirms that Osborn lost control allegedly and struck an embankment at that time.

Bishop David Zubik celebrated in a Mass of Thanksgiving as he resigns from being the Bishop of the Diocese of Pittsburgh

(File Photo of Bishop David Zubik)

Noah Haswell, Beaver County Radio News

(Oakland, PA) A Mass of Thanksgiving Thursday night celebrated Beaver County native Bishop David Zubik at St. Paul Cathedral in Oakland as he resigns from being the Bishop of the Dioceses of Pittsburgh. Auxiliary Bishop Mark Eckman will take the place of Bishop Zubik and will be installed at a Mass at St. Paul Cathedral on Monday. At 4 p.m. on Sunday, solemn vespers will be in that church. According to Bishop David Zubik, he will not necessarily leave the dioceses altogether despite his resignation.

Some Pittsburgh International Airport employees are not pleased with their permanent parking places at the airport during renovations for the new landslide terminal there

(File Photo of the Pittsburgh International Airport Sign)

Noah Haswell, Beaver County Radio News

(Pittsburgh, PA) Employees at the Pittsburgh International Airport are not pleased with the changes to permanent parking there for them. The parking spots for these employees were moved to a lot that is farther away from the terminal of the airport because of renovations that are ongoing. A petition was also made by a group of employees about this change to parking. When the new landslide terminal of the Pittsburgh International Airport is done, there will be a shuttle for employees to park in.

Pittsburgh Public Safety asks bars in the South Side of Pittsburgh in a consideration to close bars earlier because of the recent strings of violence in the area

(File Photo of a Police Siren Light)

Noah Haswell, Beaver County Radio News

(Pittsburgh, PA) Pittsburgh Public Safety is trying to prevent the string of violence from chaotic crowds in the South Side of Pittsburgh, with a consideration of asking bars there to close earlier. East Carson Street has been where some people in a crowd got arrested in these recent weeks for throwing fireworks at police and firing shots at police. The city of Pittsburgh and the office of the district attorney there are trying to find bars giving alcohol to people underage so they can make them classified as nuisance bars.

Pittsburgh Pirates announce final plans for new future PNC Park display displaying the messages of the recycled “Bucco Bricks”

(File Photo of PNC Park)

Noah Haswell, Beaver County Radio News

(Pittsburgh, PA) On Thursday, the final plans were released by the Pittsburgh Pirates for a new display at PNC Park to have the messages that were on the “Bucco Bricks” which have been recycled. Sixty commemorative plaques that are bronze will be featured around PNC Park on Mazeroski Way and West General Robinson Street. Each of the plaques will have about 170 messages on them. Messages will be displayed on the same rectangular shapes that the Bucco Bricks had, with a square shape for each plaque. According to the Pirates, the display should be done by opening day of next year.

I-79 in Allegheny County will be restricted to a single lane of traffic, weather permitting

(File Photo of Road Work Ahead Sign)

Noah Haswell, Beaver County Radio News

(Allegheny County, PA) According to PennDOT officials, from tonight through Monday, July 14th, weather permitting, I-79 in Allegheny County will be reduced to a single lane of traffic for concrete roadway patching, which is part of a $14.97 million highway restoration project that started in April of 2024. Starting tonight at 7 p.m., through 6 a.m. on Monday, I-79 will get shifted onto its shoulders in Kennedy and Robinson Townships. The Interstate 376 Airport/Pittsburgh Exit 59 A/B and the Route 60 Moon Run/Crafton Exit 60 A/B interchanges will experience these changes. Other work besides patching on the concrete pavement, updates for highway lighting and signing, work involving drainage, marking for pavements, replacement of cable barriers and guide rails and other activities. Golden Triangle Construction Company, Inc. is the prime contractor for this work.