New vaccine policy from President Donald Trump limits access to COVID shots

(File Photo: Source for Photo: FILE – The U.S. Food and Drug Administration campus in Silver Spring, Md., is photographed on Oct. 14, 2015. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File)

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration said Tuesday it will limit approval for seasonal COVID-19 shots to seniors and others at high risk pending more data on everyone else — raising questions about whether some people who want a vaccine this fall will be able to get one.

Top officials for the Food and Drug Administration laid out new standards for updated COVID shots, saying they’d continue to use a streamlined approach to make them available to adults 65 and older as well as children and younger adults with at least one high-risk health problem.

But the FDA framework, published Tuesday in the New England Journal of Medicine, urges companies to conduct large, lengthy studies before tweaked vaccines can be approved for healthier people. It’s a stark break from the previous federal policy recommending an annual COVID shot for all Americans six months and older. In the paper and a subsequent online webcast, the FDA’s top vaccine official said more than 100 million Americans still should qualify for what he termed a booster under the new guidance.

Dr. Vinay Prasad described the new approach as a “reasonable compromise” that will allow vaccinations in high-risk groups to continue while generating new data about whether they still benefit healthier people.

“For many Americans we simply do not know the answer as to whether or not they should be getting the seventh or eighth or ninth or tenth COVID-19 booster,” said Prasad, who joined the FDA earlier this month. He previously spent more than a decade in academia, frequently criticizing the FDA’s handling of drug and vaccine approvals.

It’s unclear what the upcoming changes mean for people who may still want a fall COVID-19 shot but don’t clearly fit into one of the categories.

“Is the pharmacist going to determine if you’re in a high-risk group?” asked Dr. Paul Offit, a vaccine expert at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. “The only thing that can come of this will make vaccines less insurable and less available.”

The nation’s leading pediatrics group said FDA’s approach will limit options for parents and their children.

“If the vaccine were no longer available or covered by insurance, it will take the choice away from families who wish to protect their children from COVID-19, especially among families already facing barriers to care,” said Dr. Sean O’Leary of the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Provisional data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows more than 47,000 Americans died from COVID-related causes last year. The virus was the underlying cause for two-thirds of those and it was a contributing factor for the rest. Among them were 231 children whose deaths were deemed COVID-related, 134 of them where the virus was the direct cause — numbers similar to yearly pediatric deaths from the flu.

The new FDA approach is the culmination of a series of recent steps under Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. scrutinizing the use of COVID shots and raising questions about the broader availability of vaccines. It was released two days ahead of the first meeting of FDA’s outside vaccine experts under Trump.

Last week the FDA granted full approval of Novavax’s COVID-19 vaccine but with major restrictions on who can get it — and Tuesday’s guidance mirrors those restrictions. The approval came after Trump appointees overruled FDA scientists’ earlier plans to approve the shot without restrictions.

Pfizer and Moderna, makers of the most commonly used COVID shots, each said they would continue to work with the agency.

For years, federal health officials have told most Americans to expect annual updates to COVID-19 vaccines, similar to the annual flu shot. Just like with flu vaccines, until now the FDA has approved updated COVID shots so long as they show as much immune protection as the previous year’s version.

But FDA’s new guidance appears to be the end of that approach, according to Prasad and FDA Commissioner Marty Makary, who co-authored the journal paper and joined the FDA webcast.

Prasad and Makary criticized the U.S.’s “one-size-fits-all,” contrasting it with some European countries that recommend boosters based on age, risk and other factors.

Prasad said the FDA will ask all manufacturers to do new clinical trials in healthy people ages 50 to 64, randomly assigning them to get a vaccine or a placebo and tracking outcomes with special attention to severe disease, hospitalization or death. Companies might need to repeat that requirement for future vaccine approvals if there’s a large virus mutation rather than the past year’s incremental evolution. Companies are also free to test their vaccines for approval in younger adults and children, Prasad said, adding “this is a free country.”

Since becoming the nation’s top health official in February, Kennedy has filled the FDA and other health agencies with outspoken critics of the government’s handling of COVID shots, including Makary and Prasad. Under federal procedures, the FDA releases new guidance in draft form and allows the public to comment before finalizing its plans. The publication of Tuesday’s policy in a medical journal is highly unusual and could run afoul of federal procedures, according to FDA experts.

Health experts say there are legitimate questions about how much everyone still benefits from yearly COVID vaccination or whether they should be recommended only for people at increased risk.

In June, an influential panel of advisers to the CDC is set to debate which vaccines should be recommended to which groups.

The FDA’s announcement appears to usurp that advisory panel’s job, Offit said. He added that CDC studies have made clear that booster doses do offer protection against mild to moderate illness for four to six months after the shot even in healthy people.

Corey O’Connor defeats Ed Gainey in the Democratic primary election to run for the mayor of Pittsburgh

(File Photo: Source for Photo: FILE – Pittsburgh mayoral candidate Corey O’Connor speaks at a candidate’s forum held at Perry Traditional Academy in Pittsburgh, April, 24,. 2025. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar, File)

Noah Haswell, Beaver County Radio News

(Allegehney County, PA) Allegheny County Controller Corey O’Connor defeated incumbent Pittsburgh mayor Ed Gainey in the Democratic primary election to run for the position of the mayor of Pittsburgh. After his primary election victory, O’Connor follows in the footsteps of his late father Bob O’Connor, who was once in the position of mayor. Gainey ran for re-election this year after becoming the first Black mayor of Pittsburgh in 2021.

Policy solutions to improve foster youth education in Pennsylvania

Source for Photo: A report from the Education Law Center and Pennsylvania Partnerships for Children found Black children in Pennsylvania face disproportionate foster care placement and increased scrutiny, reflecting broader racial disparities seen in schools and discipline. Credit for Photo, Courtesy of: (Lumeez/Adobe Stock) – Danielle Smith, Keystone News Service, Caption for Photo: Writing, education or teacher helping a girl in a classroom with learning development or studying notes. Kid, notebook or happy black woman smile teaching or talking to a focused high school student. Credit for Photo, Courtesy of: (Lumeez/Adobe Stock)- Danielle Smith, Keystone News Service

(Reported by Danielle Smith of Keystone News Service)

(Harrisburg, PA) Education is a major challenge for kids in foster care in Pennsylvania, according to a new report. Nearly 20-thousand children and teens are served by Pennsylvania’s foster care system each year. Maura McInerney with the Education Law Center says the report identifies policy recommendations to improve educational outcomes for them. One recommendation is that child welfare agencies place kids in foster care closer to their home communities, to help keep them in the same schools. It was released jointly by the Education Law Center and Pennsylvania Partnerships for Children.

Five men from Pennsylvania are attempting to launch a class action lawsuit against DraftKings for causing their obessive gambling and for the company targeting them

(File Photo: Source for Photo: FILE – The DraftKings logo is displayed at the sports betting company headquarters, May 2, 2019, in Boston. DraftKings apologized Monday, Sept. 11, 2023, after using the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks to entice people to bet on baseball and football games on the anniversary of the tragedy that killed nearly 3,000 people. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa, File)

Noah Haswell, Beaver County Radio News

(Chicago, IL) Five men from Pennsylvania are attempting to launch a class action lawsuit against DraftKings. The men confirm that their addictions of gambling came from the company which used methods that were predatory and marketing that was deceptive with the company being a gambling target. As of Tuesday, DraftKings did not file a response in court. The spokespeople for DraftKings did not answer a request for a comment immediately. Loevy + Loevy is a civil rights law firm based in Chicago that filed the laswuit for the five men.

Two men shot in Pittsburgh and no arrests made yet

(File Photo of two Pittsubrhg Police Vehicles in Pittsburgh with two companies and a person walking in the background)

Noah Haswell, Beaver County Radio News

(Pittsburgh, PA) Two men got shot in Pittsburgh early this morning. According to Pittsburgh Public Safety, emergency responders were alerted to gunfire around 12:15 a.m. One man was shot in the leg before being found on the 7100 block of Frankstown Avenue. He was taken to the hospital and was stable. Pittsburgh Public Safety confirms another man was shot in the arm after appearing at UPMC Shadyside Hospital. That man was reportedly stable. No arrests were made as of this morning.

Aliquippa man arrested after driving under the influence in Monaca

(File Photo of Police Lights)

Noah Haswell, Beaver County Radio News

(Monaca, PA) A man from Aliquippa was arrested after driving under the influence in Monaca Borough on Sunday. Thirty-seven-year-old Andrew Hrynewich was stopped by police on 600 Pennsylvania Avenue in a parking lot. Hrynewich had the license plate hidden on his car because the trunk of his car was open and he did not use a right turn signal when turning to 6th Street from Pennsylvania Avenue. Hrynewich was released because of a rule after his DUI arrest. 

Enon Valley woman charged after driving impaired in Darlington Township

(File Photo of a Pennsylvania State Police Trooper Badge)

Noah Haswell, Beaver County Radio News

(Darlington Township, PA) Pennsylvania State Police in Beaver report that a woman from Enon Valley was charged for driving under the influence after causing a single-vehicle crash in Darlington Township. On May 10th, 2025, seventy-five-year-old Diane Sobona was driving her truck on 267 Taggert Road and hit a concrete barrier. Sobona was discovered as an impaired driver, and she was taken to Heritage Valley Beaver even though she was not injured. Her truck had damage that was minor. 

Man from Beaver apprehended after assualting his wife in Bridgewater Borough

(File Photo of Handcuffs)

Noah Haswell, Beaver County Radio News

(Bridgewater Borough, PA) A man from Beaver was apprehended by troopers from the Pennsylvania State Police in Beaver after he assaulted his wife in Bridgewater Borough on Friday. Thirty-four-year-old Derek Hays committed an act of domestic violence against his wife, twenty-six-year-old Lilia Hays at a residence on 1311 Market Street. Lilia went towards a window and jumped out of it after the incident occurred. Public drunkenness was the reason that Derek is now in the Beaver County Jail. According to police, a felony warrant that was temporary was entered for Derek and charges were filed against him.

Beaver Falls woman charged for causing a single-vehicle crash on I-376 East

(File Photo of Police Lights)

Noah Haswell, Beaver County Radio News

(Brighton Township, PA) Pennsylvania State Police in Beaver report that a woman from Beaver Falls was charged after causing a single-vehicle crash on I-376 East on Saturday. Thirty-one-year-old Sarah Fabiani was at the Brighton Exit, and she looked at her phone, which caused her to not have control of her car. Fabiani hit a guide rail, but she was not injured. According to police, Fabiani broke a vehicle code and was cited for the violation.

McKeesport man charged for allegedly giving alcohol to the man that fell onto PNC Park from the stands on April 30th, 2025

(File Photo: Source for Photo: A fan is carted off the field at PNC Park after falling out of the stands during the seventh inning of a baseball game between the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Chicago Cubs in Pittsburgh, Wednesday, April 30, 2025. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)

Noah Haswell, Beaver County Radio News

(Pittsburgh, PA) A twenty-one-year-old man from McKeesport got charges after allegedly giving alcohol to the twenty-year-old man who fell onto PNC Park from the stands on April 30th, 2025. According to the Pennsylvania State Police Liquor Control Enforcement, Ethan Kirkwood got two counts for furnishing alcohol to a minor. Court documents confirm that Kirkwood was arrested on Tuesday with these charges and on June 23rd, he will undergo a preliminary hearing.