1.2 million seek jobless aid after $600 federal check ends

1.2 million seek jobless aid after $600 federal check ends
By PAUL WISEMAN AP Economics Writer
WASHINGTON (AP) — Nearly 1.2 million laid-off Americans applied for state unemployment benefits last week, evidence that the coronavirus keeps forcing companies to slash jobs just as a critical $600 weekly federal jobless payment has expired. The government’s report did offer a smidgen of hopeful news: The number of jobless claims declined by 249,000 from the previous week, after rising for two straight weeks, and it was the lowest total since mid-March. Still, the pace remains at alarmingly high levels: It is the 20th straight week that at least 1 million people have sought jobless aid. Before the pandemic hit hard, the number of Americans seeking unemployment checks had never surpassed 700,000 in a week.

Recent Uptick in Positive Cases at Shell Cracker Plant Site in Potter Twp.

(File Photo)

(Potter Twp., Pa.) There has been a recent uptick of positive cases of the COVID-19 at the Shell Cracker Plant in Potter Twp. Shell said in a statement that there are 14 confirmed active cases among the workforce at the Potter Township construction site. Shell says in the statement that 21 workers are confirmed to have recovered from the COVID-19 and have been cleared to return to work.

Shell states that they currently have around 4,000 workers on site and continue to add workers at a measured pace with decisions made on a weekly basis of adding employees.

Shell has a testing lab on site and said as they add additional workers, the site’s testing lab is providing site leaders with a valuable tool that is helping the site to protect worker safety and manage COVID-19 challenges.  All workers newly joining or rejoining the work force undergo reorientation training that includes an onsite COVID-19 test required to gain badge access to site.  To date, the site’s testing lab has conducted more than 1,000 COVID-19 tests, with an approximate positivity rating of 1 percent.

Shell said in the statement that site safety is a priority and  they continue to follow and enforce COVID-19 guidelines as provided by the Center for Disease Control and the Pennsylvania Department of Health. Those include social distancing, mandatory masks, sanitizing stations, temperature screening, and lunchroom protocols that use tables with plexi-glass dividers with only two workers per table.

Shell states they may adapt their practices as conditions and corresponding guidelines change.

Biden campaign announces $280 million ad buy through fall

Biden campaign announces $280 million ad buy through fall
By ALEXANDRA JAFFE Associated Press
WASHINGTON (AP) — Joe Biden’s Democratic presidential campaign is reserving $280 million in digital and television ads through the fall. It’s nearly twice the amount President Donald Trump’s team has reserved. The Biden campaign announced in a Wednesday memo it’s reserving $220 million in television airtime and $60 million in digital ads. A review of Kantar/CMAG data by The Associated Press finds that’s in contrast to the $147 million Trump’s campaign has reserved. Biden’s campaign also plans to launch what it calls an “unprecedented” paid media campaign to educate people on voting options during the coronavirus pandemic. Trump’s campaign has tried to frame Biden’s expanding footprint as a sign Biden’s challenge is in peril.

Dobnak shines in homecoming, Twins top reeling Pirates 5-2

Dobnak shines in homecoming, Twins top reeling Pirates 5-2
By WILL GRAVES AP Sports Writer
PITTSBURGH (AP) — Minnesota’s Randy Dobnak dominated in his homecoming, allowing three hits in six innings as the streaking Twins topped the reeling Pittsburgh Pirates 5-2. Dobnak, who grew up a half-hour south of PNC Park in the Pittsburgh suburb of South Park, didn’t walk a batter and struck out just one. The 25-year-old relied on a heavy fastball the Pirates pounded into the ground. Pittsburgh managed just four balls out of the infield against Dobnak, who dropped his ERA to 0.60. Marwin Gonzalez went 2 for 4 with two RBIs for the Twins. Max Kepler gave Minnesota some breathing room in the ninth with a three-run home run off Pirates’ reliever Dovydas Neverauskas.

Petry’s goal in 3rd lifts Canadiens past Penguins again

Petry’s goal in 3rd lifts Canadiens past Penguins again
TORONTO (AP) — Jeff Petry scored 5:33 into the third period as the Montreal Canadiens rallied from two goals down and beat Pittsburgh 4-3 in Game 3, pushing the Penguins to the brink of elimination in the best-of-five series. Shea Weber had a goal and two assists for Montreal, Paul Byron added a goal and an assist, and Jonathan Drouin also scored. Carey Price stopped 30 shots for the Canadiens. Montreal can advance to the normal first round with 16 teams with win in Game 4 on Friday. Patric Hornqvist, Jason Zucker and Teddy Blueger scored for fifth-seeded Pittsburgh, which led 3-1 after Blueger’s goal 5:34 into the second. Matt Murray finished with 27 saves.

Wall Street rallies again; S&P 500 pulls within 2% of record

Wall Street rallies again; S&P 500 pulls within 2% of record
By STAN CHOE and ALEX VEIGA AP Business Writers
NEW YORK (AP) — Stocks are rising again on Wall Street, and the S&P 500 is ticking closer to its record high as it tries for a fourth straight gain. The S&P 500 was 0.6% higher in late trading on Wednesday, following up on gains in European markets and across much of Asia. The index is back within 2% of its record for the first time since February. Negotiators on Capitol Hill reported some progress in talks for more support for the economy, while Disney surged after it became the latest company to report quarterly results that weren’t as bad as Wall Street expected.

Commissioners Announce First Phase For $14.8 Million CARES Act Funding

(Matt Drzik/Beaver County Radio)

At the weekly work session, Commissioner Dan Camp announced that Beaver County, the Board of Commissioners, and the accounting firms sanctioned by the County will begin to work on the first phase of distributing the $14.8 million CARES Act funding granted due to the national (and statewide) COVID-19 outbreak.

“The first phase of the funding will be [for] municipalities and non-governmental grants,” Camp said. “Non-governmental grants include small businesses, non-profits that are 501c3 & 501c19.”

Camp noted that the application period for Phase 1 funding will be from August 10 through August 24, and that applications can be taken care of online.

Commissioner Tony Amadio and Assistant Solicitor Nathan Morgan were not present at the work session, either in person or via phone. No comments were made on their absence.

The next work session is August 12 at 10 AM.

Districts go round and round on school bus reopening plans

Districts go round and round on school bus reopening plans
By MARK SCOLFORO Associated Press
HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Reopening schools during the coronavirus pandemic means putting children on school buses, and districts are working on plans to limit the risk. The strategies being considered include limiting bus capacity, filling buses from the back and coming up with plans to handle children who exhibit symptoms. Planners have developed a wide array of strategies to reduce the health risks, but nobody has found a silver bullet. Many schools are surveying parents to determine how many students will need bus transportation and how many plan to drive their kids to school. Others are making decisions about bus capacity that involve a trade-off between safety and affordability.

2 tornadoes confirmed in Eastern Pennsylvania during storm

2 tornadoes confirmed in Pennsylvania during storm
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The National Weather Service has confirmed that tornadoes touched down in Bucks and Montgomery counties during Tuesday’s storm. The weather service office in Mount Holly, New Jersey said more details would be provided later such as the strength and exact location of the storms, which were among six that struck the region. Tornadoes also touched down in Ocean and Cape May counties in New Jersey, Kent and New Castle Counties in Delaware and Queen Anne’s County, Maryland. Regional rail service was suspended Wednesday in Philadelphia after the storm raised the Schuylkill River and sent an unsecured construction barge into a bridge.

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The National Weather Service has confirmed that tornadoes touched down in Bucks and Montgomery counties during Tuesday’s storm.
The weather service office in Mount Holly, New Jersey said more details would be provided later such as the strength and exact location of the storms, which were among six that struck the region. Tornadoes also touched down in Ocean and Cape May counties in New Jersey, Kent and New Castle Counties in Delaware and Queen Anne’s County, Maryland.
In Bucks County on Tuesday, high winds partially tore the roof off a day care center on the grounds of a suburban Philadelphia hospital, injuring four children. Bucks County government officials said in a Twitter post that high winds around Doylestown Hospital partially tore the roof off the day care center at Children’s Village, a private preschool on the hospital grounds, and overturned and moved around vehicles in the parking lot.
Doylestown Health said four children and some staff members were treated for minor injuries, and all of the children were moved to a local middle school to reunite with family.
Regional rail service was suspended Wednesday in Philadelphia after the storm raised the Schuylkill River and sent an unsecured construction barge into a bridge. The barge came to a rest against the Vine Street Expressway Bridge. Inspectors were checking for damage.
The bridge is upstream from a SEPTA rail bridge at 30th Street. The commuter bus and rail agency said is suspended all regional rail service out of an abundance of caution until the barge was secured or crossed under the bridge. Interstate 676, which crosses the bridge, also was closed in both directions.

Big Ten football season set to begin on Labor Day weekend

Big Ten football season set to begin on Labor Day weekend
By ERIC OLSON AP College Football Writer
The Big Ten released its 10-game conference-only football schedule beginning as early as Labor Day weekend but cautioned there is no certainty games will be played. The Big Ten had announced a month ago it would shorten the season and eliminate nonconference games because of the coronavirus pandemic. Teams will play conference opponents they originally were scheduled to meet and will have one additional cross-division game. The regular season runs through Nov. 21. The 10 games would be played over at least 12 weeks, with each team having two open dates. If necessary, makeup games can be played during bye weeks.