The man accused of killing Charlie Kirk appears in court for 1st time as a judge weighs media access

(File Photo: Source for Photo: Tyler Robinson, who is accused of fatally shooting Charlie Kirk, appears during a hearing in Fourth District Court in Provo, Utah, Thursday, Dec. 11, 2025. (Rick Egan/The Salt Lake Tribune via AP, Pool)

PROVO, Utah (AP) — The Utah man charged with killing Charlie Kirk made his first in-person court appearance Thursday as his attorneys pushed to further limit media access in the high-profile criminal case.

Prosecutors have charged Tyler Robinson with aggravated murder in the Sept. 10 shooting of the conservative activist on the Utah Valley University campus in Orem, just a few miles north of the Provo courthouse. They plan to seek the death penalty.

Robinson, 22, arrived amid heavy security, shackled at the waist, wrists and ankles and wearing a dress shirt, tie and slacks.

He smiled at his parents and brother sitting in the front row. His mother teared up after he walked in and clutched a tissue throughout the hearing while his father took notes. Robinson had previously appeared before the court via video or audio feed from jail.

Early in the proceedings, state District Court Judge Tony Graf briefly stopped a media livestream of the hearing and ordered the camera be moved after Robinson’s attorneys said the stream showed the defendant’s shackles in violation of a courtroom order.

Graf said he would terminate future broadcasts if there were further violations of the order issued in October, which bars media from showing images of Robinson in restraints or anywhere in the courtroom except sitting at the defense table.

“This court takes this very seriously,” Graf said. “While the court believes in openness and transparency, it needs to be balanced with the constitutional rights of all parties in this case.”

The warning comes as Graf has been weighing the public’s right to know details about the case against concerns by Robinson’s attorneys that the swarm of media attention could interfere with a fair trial.

Robinson’s legal team and the Utah County Sheriff’s Office have asked to ban cameras in the courtroom, but Graf has not yet ruled on the request.

Coalitions of national and local news organizations, including The Associated Press, are fighting to preserve media access in the case.

Graf held a closed hearing on Oct. 24 in which attorneys discussed Robinson’s courtroom attire and security protocols. Under a subsequent ruling by the judge, Robinson is allowed to wear street clothes during pretrial hearings but must be physically restrained due to security concerns. Graf also prohibited filming or photographing Robinson’s restraints after his attorneys argued widespread images of him shackled and in jail clothing could prejudice potential jurors.

Media attorney David Reymann urged Graf on Thursday to let the news organizations weigh in on any future requests for closed hearings or other limitations. He said media organizations want “limited party status” in the case.

Staci Visser, one of Robinson’s lawyers, pushed back: “We don’t want the chaos that is out in the media in this courtroom.”

Several college students who said they witnessed Kirk’s assassination attended Thursday’s hearing.

Zack Reese, a Utah Valley University student and “big Charlie Kirk fan,” said he had skepticism about Robinson’s arrest and was seeking answers. Reese has family in southwestern Utah, where the Robinsons are from, and said he believes they’re a good family.

Brigham Young University student William Brown, who said he was about 10 feet from Kirk when he was shot, said he felt overwhelmed seeing Robinson walk into the courtroom.

“I witnessed a huge event, and my brain is still trying to make sense of it,” Brown said. “I feel like being here helps it feel more real than surreal.”

Lawyers for the media wrote in recent filings that an open court “safeguards the integrity of the fact-finding process” while fostering public confidence in judicial proceedings. Criminal cases in the U.S. have long been open to the public, which the attorneys argued is proof that trials can be conducted fairly without restricting reporters.

Kirk’s widow, Erika Kirk, has called for full transparency, saying, “We deserve to have cameras in there.” Her husband was an ally of President Donald Trump who worked to steer young voters toward conservatism.

Robinson’s legal team says pretrial publicity reaches as far as the White House, with Trump announcing soon after Robinson’s arrest, “With a high degree of certainty, we have him,” and “I hope he gets the death penalty.”

Defense attorney Kathy Nester has raised concerns that digitally altered versions of Robinson’s initial court photo have spread widely, creating misinformation. Some altered images show Robinson crying or having an outburst in court, which did not happen.

Robinson is due in court again in January. A preliminary hearing, where prosecutors will lay out their case against him, is tentatively scheduled for the week of May 18.

Former Pirates pitcher Colin Holderman signs $1.5 million, 1-year deal with the Cleveland Guardians

(File Photo: Source for Photo: FILE – Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Colin Holderman celebrates after getting the final out of a baseball game against the Los Angeles Dodgers, Sept. 4, 2025, in Pittsburgh. (AP Photo/Matt Freed, File)

CLEVELAND (AP) — The Cleveland Guardians added to their bullpen Thursday, signing right-hander Colin Holderman to a one-year, $1.5 million contract.

The 30-year old Holderman spent the past four seasons with the Pittsburgh Pirates, then became a free agent three weeks ago when the Pirates failed to offer a 2026 contract. He was 0-2 with a 7.01 ERA in 24 appearances. He had two stints on the injured list due to a right knee sprain and right thumb inflammation.

Holderman made 113 appearances during 2023 and ’24 seasons, the second-most on the Pirates in that span, and posted a 3.52 ERA while going 3-9.

Holderman was a ninth-round pick by the New York Mets in the 2016 amateur draft. He made his big league debut in 2022 and went 5-0 with a 3.81 ERA in 24 games before being dealt to the Pirates.

The signing puts the Guardians roster at the 40-man limit.

Steelers LB TJ Watt hospitalized after experiencing discomfort in his lungs

(File Photo: Source for Photo: Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker T.J. Watt (90) tackles Baltimore Ravens running back Derrick Henry (22) during the first half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Dec. 7, 2025, in Baltimore. (AP Photo/Nick Wass)

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Pittsburgh Steelers star outside linebacker T.J. Watt is in the hospital after experiencing discomfort in his lungs.

Coach Mike Tomlin said the seven-time All-Pro and 2021 NFL Defensive Player of the Year was sent to the hospital for evaluation on Wednesday after experiencing discomfort while receiving treatment.

Watt was scheduled to undergo testing on Thursday, Tomlin said.

“He and I communicated last night,” Tomlin said. “He was comfortable and that’s all I have really at this point.”

The Steelers had the day off on Wednesday, an adjustment to their schedule this week to accommodate playing against Miami on Monday night in Week 15. It’s common for players to come in during their days off to receive medical treatment.

Tomlin saw Watt in the cafeteria on Wednesday, which is when Tomlin said he became “aware” of what he described as Watt’s “lung situation.”

Watt had been on the injury report last week with a toe problem but was ready in time to make his 56th straight regular-season start for the Steelers (7-6).

Asked if Watt had been dealing with any sort of prior injury that could be in any way related to the discomfort, Tomlin said, “Not to my knowledge, particularly in game or after the game, nothing.”

Watt has led the NFL in sacks three times in his nine seasons, all with the Steelers. He tied a league record in 2021 when he finished the year with 22 1/2 sacks.

Watt has seven sacks in 2025 and recently surpassed his older brother and three-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year J.J. Watt on the league’s career sack list when he recorded his 115th last month.

“I haven’t talked to TJ but I would never bet against anybody in the Watt family of being able to deal with something small or large and getting back on the field as quickly as possible,” Steelers quarterback Aaron Rodgers said.

While Watt has just seven sacks — putting him on pace for the fewest over the course of a season in which he’s played at least 13 games since his rookie year in 2017 — he remains a singularly disruptive force that requires constant attention from opponents, usually in the form of double teams.

Alex Highsmith and Nick Herbig will start against the Dolphins if Watt is unable to go. Highsmith, Watt’s longtime running mate, has endured a bumpy season of his own. Highsmith has missed four games due to various injuries, but he also had the game-sealing sack in the final moments of last Sunday’s win at Baltimore that pushed the Steelers back atop the AFC North.

“When he’s healthy, boy, he’s good,” defensive coordinator Teryl Austin said. “And I thought he was really good last week. … Obviously, you know, everybody remembers the sack to end the game, but the dirty work stuff that he did all game in terms of setting edges and really being really physical at the point of attack, that’s the stuff that he really brings.”

Highsmith’s concern isn’t about his role but Watt, who is dealing with what Highsmith called a “scary situation.”

“I’ve just been praying for him,” Highsmith said. “I know he’s getting better.”

Fowler makes 33 saves in NHL debut as Canadiens beat Penguins 4-2

 

(File Photo: Source for Photo: Pittsburgh Penguins’ Sidney Crosby (87) reaches for the puck during the first period of an NHL hockey game against the Montréal Canadiens, Thursday, Dec. 11, 2025, in Pittsburgh. (Matt Freed/Pittsburgh Post-Gazette via AP)

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Jacob Fowler made 33 saves in his NHL debut and the Montreal Canadiens beat the Pittsburgh Penguins 4-2 on Thursday night.

Montreal gave the rookie plenty of support, as Alexandre Texier, Brendan Gallagher and Cole Caufield staked the Canadiens to a 3-0 lead through two periods. Oliver Kapanen also scored to help Montreal snap a two-game skid.

Bryan Rust scored and Erik Karlsson had a power-play goal for Pittsburgh. Sidney Crosby added an assist and is now four points from breaking Mario Lemieux’s franchise record for points. Lemieux is ninth all-time in NHL history.

Tristan Jarry stopped 25 shots for Pittsburgh, which lost its third straight and saw a four-game point streak end.

Montreal recalled the 21-year-old Fowler from Laval of the AHL after Tuesday’s 6-1 home loss against Tampa Bay. In that game, Jakub Dobes allowed three goals on 11 shots and Sam Montembeault gave up three goals on 10 shots in relief.

Montreal allowed more than five goals in three of its previous six games before recalling Fowler, the No. 69 overall pick in 2023. He played two NCAA seasons at Boston College and was 10-5 with a .919 save percentage and a 2.09 goals-against average with Laval.

Kapanen scored 15 seconds after Rust made it 3-1 to give Fowler and the Canadiens a three-goal lead in the third period.

Texier gave Fowler and the Canadiens an early lead. He stripped Penguins’ D Kris Letang of the puck at the blueline and beat Jarry with a glove-side wrist shot 2:54 into the game.

Gallagher put Montreal ahead 2-0 at 4:37 of the second period. He took a cross-ice pass from Lane Hutson and fired a wrist shot that beat Jarry high and to the blocker side.

Caufield added a power-play goal for a 3-0 lead at 10:18. He was behind the goal when he banked a shot off Jarry’s skates and into the net.

Up next

Canadiens: Visit the New York Rangers on Saturday.

Penguins: Continue a five-game homestand Saturday against San Jose.

 

Nonstop flights from Pittsburgh to Dublin, Ireland will begin in May of 2026

(File Photo: Source for Photo: FILE – A view from inside Croke Park in Dublin, Ireland, Thursday, Aug. 24, 2023. (AP Photo/Ken Maguire, File)

Noah Haswell, Beaver County Radio News

(Pittsburgh, PA) The Pittsburgh International Airport and VisitPittsburgh recently teamed up so that the airport in the Steel City can offer non-stop flights from there to Dublin, Ireland starting in May of 2026Additionallypassengers will be able to fly out of the hub in Dublin for their connections. Dublin Airport also offers a United States preclearance facility that allows passengers who are headed to the United States to complete immigration and customs procedures before they depart. 

Water line break in New Brighton

Story by Curtis Walsh – Beaver County Radio. Published December 11, 2025 6:04 P.M.

(New Brighton, Pa) A water line broke at the intersection of 4th Avenue and 16th Street shortly before 5pm Thursday.

As of 6pm Thursday, 16th street between 3rd Avenue and 5th Avenue was closed as crews worked to fix the break.

The area is experiencing water outages as a result.

 

Raymond Frederick May (1942-2025)

Raymond Frederick May, 83, of Center Township, passed away on December 9th, 2025. He was born in Shippingport, Pennsylvania on April 9th, 1942. He was preceded in death by his beloved wife, Rozan May, his daughter, Beverly Bowser, his sisters, Margaret Proya and Charlene Nedrow, his brothers, Thomas Winkle and Jerry Winkle. He is survived by his son, Michael May, his daughter, Shonda Snavely, his sister, Janice Winkle, his brother, Harry Winkle, his cherished grandsons, Kevin and Keith Krznar and numerous nieces and nephews.

Raymond was a proud veteran of the United States Army and a retired machinist from Norfolk Southern Railroad, where he dedicated many years of hard work and craftsmanship. He was an avid hunter and fisherman who found peace and fulfillment in the outdoors throughout his life. In retirement, he devoted his time to restoring classic Oldsmobile muscle cars and creating meaningful woodworking projects, taking great pride in the beauty and detail of his work. He also deeply enjoyed the friendships and camaraderie found at the American Legion in Monaca, Pennsylvania, as well as the Sons of Italy, also located in Monaca.

Friends and family will be received on Saturday, December 13th, from 2-5 p.m. at Simpson Funeral and Cemation Services, 1119 Washington Avenue, Monaca, who was in charge of his arrangements.

“Till Dirt Do Us Part”: Pittsburgh Steelers Legend Brett Keisel to Officiate the Marriage of Eight Couples at PBR’s Valentine’s Day Event at PPG Paints Arena

(File Photo: Source for Photo: Courtesy of the Associated Press/ Caption for Photo: Former Pittsburgh Steelers great Brett Keisel waves a Terrible Towel before a game on Dec. 23, 2023, in Pittsburgh. (AP)

Noah Haswell, Beaver County Radio News

(Pittsburgh, PA) According to a release from PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh today, the Professional Bull Riders (PBR), announced today that it will return to PPG Paints Arena on February 13th-14th, 2026, for the PBR Lovestruck Buck Off, the ninth stop of the 18-event 2026 PBR Unleash The Beast tour and a heart-pounding Valentine’s Day weekend like no other. Along with seeing two nights of the top bull riders and the fiercest animal athletes in the world, two-time Super Bowl champion defensive end and Pittsburgh Steelers legend Brett Keisel will marry eight couples there on February 14th, 2026 as part of PBR’s upcoming campaign called “Till Dirt Do Us Part.”

Couples can click here if they would like to apply to get married at PBR by submitting a short video explaining why they should be selected to say, “I do” and the application deadline is January 7th, with selected couples notified by late January. According to that same release from PPG Paints Arena, here is some more information about this event:

Chosen couples will receive a one-of-a-kind Valentine’s Day experience, including:

  • A free wedding ceremony officiated by Brett Keisel during the February 14th, 2026 PBR premier tour event
  • A pair of Ariat boots for each bride
  • Premium chute deck access during the event
  • A wedding photo with Keisel
  • Additional VIP elements

Keisel, who spent his entire 13-year NFL career with the Steelers, has deep ties to both the city of Pittsburgh and to cowboy life. Raised on a Wyoming ranch, Keisel learned to ride, rope, brand cattle and handle livestock from an early age. During the 2025 PBR debut, he served as honorary team captain for the Arizona Ridge Riders during a PBR Teams exhibition game at PPG Paints Arena and welcomed bull riders to UPMC Children’s Hospital, where he has helped raise more than $1 million through his annual “Shear Da Beard” charity event.

Tickets are on sale now at Ticketmaster.com and PBR.com.

Fans can secure seats for:

  • Friday, February 13th, 2026 – 7:45 p.m.
  • Saturday, February 14th, 2026 – 7:45 p.m.

EVENT FAST FACTS

  • 750 tons of dirt brought in for the arena floor to transform PPG Paints Arena into a bull-riding mecca.
  • The dirt is a special clay-sand blend establishing a firm enough surface for the bulls to buck hard but soft enough so that every rider is not injured when thrown like a rag doll.
  • More than 50 bucking bulls at each event
  • It takes 7 semi-trucks to haul in the equipment for the event.
  • 36 hours of setup by a crew of 30
  • Average bull weight: 1,700–2,000 lbs.
  • Average bull rider weight: 140 lbs.

Free Christmas dinners will be offered from these Beaver County organizations

(File Photo of a Dinner Served During Thanksgiving)

Noah Haswell, Beaver County Radio News

(Beaver County, PA) Several local organizations are planning to host free Christmas dinners during the holiday season in Beaver County. According to the Beaver County Times, here is a short list of which organizations can fill you up with a meal to make your spirits bright this year:

  • The Beaver Falls Ministerium plans to offer a free Christmas day dinner for the Beaver Falls community from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursday, December 25th at the Beaver Falls Youth Center, 831 Fourth Avenue. The event includes a ham or turkey dinner with the fixings, fellowship and a gift bag for men, women and children. Anyone interested in helping that day can reach out by sending a message through the ministerium’s Facebook page by clicking here.
  • The Salvation Army Beaver Falls will host a Christmas dinner at 3 p.m. on Sunday, December 14th at its center, 414 Sixth Street.

  • Clinton United Methodist Church is hosting a free Christmas Day dinner from 1-3 p.m. on Thursday, December 25th at the church, 1147 Old Route 18 in Wampum. Dine-in, curbside pickup or delivery is available. They are taking orders through Tuesday, December 23rd by calling 724-657-4328.

Four adults and two children taken to the hospital after a multi-vehicle crash that closed part of the Parkway North in Pittsburgh

(File Photo of Police Siren Lights)

Noah Haswell, Beaver County Radio News

(Pittsburgh, PA) A crash involving multiple vehicles shut down part of the Parkway North in Pittsburgh this morning and sent at least six people to the hospital. According to PennDOT, the crash occurred near the Interstate 579 Veterans Bridge ramp and it was first reported around 10:40 a.m. this morning. Southbound I-279 was closed between the North-East Street exit and the Veterans Bridge exit, which caused significant traffic back-ups. The road reopened at around 11:45 a.m. this morning. Pennsylvania State Police confirm that four adults and two children were taken to the hospital for injuries. It was not immediately available about what the conditions were for the people that were hospitalized from this crash.